Home > English > Regulations >
The regulations form a comprehensive framework for living, learning and other aspects of the experience that all international students must abide by. They form an important reference point, and it is the responsibility of all students to ensure they are familiar with the regulations that apply to the programs on which they are studying. Here are the sections that currently comprise the regulations for International students of Dalian Maritime University.
Administrative Regulations

Administrative Regulations for Foreign Students of Dalian Maritime University

• General Rules
Article 1 According to Administrative Regulations for Universities Accepting Foreign Students issued by Ministry of Education of People’s Republic of China, and combined with the actual situation of DMU, the following provisions are formulated in order to further strengthen the management work of foreign students of DMU.
Article 2 Foreign students referred in this regulation are students study in DMU with valid foreign passports. Those who were originally residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan province should hold a valid foreign passport or other nationality certificate issued at least 4 years ago. Moreover, during the last 4 years (up to 30th April in the year of admission), the length of residence in that country should be more than 2 years (9 months of foreign residence can be counted as a year, subjecting to both entry and exit stamps on the passport).
Article 3 According to study categories, foreign students are classified as degree students (bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, and doctoral degree) and non-degree students (college preparatory students, Chinese language students, and general/senior scholars, and study trip students); foreign students are also divided into scholarship students and self-funded students in accordance with funding categories.

• Application and Registration

Article 4 Application Qualification:

Bachelor’s Degree Program: graduating from senior high school, holding an HSK Certificate (level 4 or above), aged between 18 and 35
Master’s Degree Program: holding a bachelor degree and an HSK Certificate (5th level or above), under the age of 40
Doctoral Degree Program: holding a master degree and an HSK Certificate (5th level or above), under the age of 50
College Preparatory Program: graduating from senior high school, aged between 18 and 35
Chinese Language Program: graduating from senior high school, aged between 18 and 60
General Scholar Program: pursuing a bachelor degree, holding an HSK Certificate (level 4 or above), aged between 18 and 35
Senior Scholar Program: holding a bachelor/master degree and an HSK Certificate (level 5 or above), under the age of 40/50 respectively
Study Trip Program: pursuing a bachelor degree, aged between 18 and 35

Article 5 Registration and payments
New students are required to register within stipulated registration period (the registration date is written on admission notice). If there is reasonable cause and you must arrive later than the registration period, please send the Admissions Office of IEC a request letter, explaining the reason for postponing registration and clarifying the possible arrival date. You must receive our written permission in order to arrive after the registration days. If you fail to register within the time limit without the permission of DMU, you will be regarded as giving up your admission.

Original copies of the following documents should be submitted upon registration: Admission Notice from DMU, Visa Application for Study in China (JW202 or JW201), 8 passport photos; Foreigner’s Physical Examination Record (the blood test record should be attached), and valid passport;
Sign Guarantee for Studying at Dalian Maritime University;
Pay registration fee, tuition, accommodation fee, insurance fee, text books fee, etc. according to funding categories (students can neither choose nor attend classes until all fees are paid); Degree Students must have paid the full amount tuition of at least one academic year, Chinese language students must have paid the full amount tuition according to the duration of study. If a student were to withdraw from university within two weeks after school reopens, 75% of the tuition will be refunded. 50% of the tuition will be refunded if the student were to withdraw from school within three weeks after school reopens. For students who withdraw from school after three weeks from the reopening of school, tuition is neither refundable nor transferable (registration fee is not refundable); students who withdraw from school within three weeks after the opening of school should first cancel the student visa in order to get the refund;
Students must report and register living address to local police station within 24 hours upon your arrival in Dalian;
After completing all payments, students should apply for student ID cards, E-card, and short-term or long-term studying visa in Dalian.
Article 6 Existing foreign students are required to pay tuition, accommodation fee, and insurance fee within registration period (students can neither choose nor attend classes until all fees are paid), and apply for visas. If there is reasonable cause and you must arrive later than the registration period, please send the Student Affairs Office of IEC a request letter, explaining the reason for postponing registration and clarifying the possible arrival date; you must receive our written permission in order to arrive after the registration days. Students who have not registered after two weeks of the registration period without the permission of DMU will be dismissed from DMU.

• Code of Conduct

Article 7 Foreign students must abide by Chinese laws and regulations as well as the school discipline and regulations; respect teachers and staff; work hard, complete study tasks with a proper attitude; respect Chinese customs; respect and unite your classmates, try to keep and promote the friendship among people of the world.
Article 8 Foreign students can found fellowship union within the university after approved by the school, and the union must hold activities within the scope provided by Chinese laws and regulations, abide by the leadership and administration of the university. International should apply to relevant section of the Chinese government for founding unions between schools and areas.
Article 9 Foreign students are allowed and encouraged by our university to attend activities held by the school; foreign students can also attend celebrations held in festivals in China of their free.
Article 10 After getting approval from the school, foreign students could, within appointed place and scale, hold celebrations for traditional festival of their own countries, however, contents opposing or attacking China or other countries, behaviors and speeches violating public morality are not allowed.
Article 11 Our school respects the customs and religious belief of foreign students, but we don’t offer places for holding religious ceremony. Religious preaching, religious meeting and political rallies are strictly prohibited within school.
Article 12 Foreign students are not allowed to conduct any business activities like being employed, running a business during the stay in school.
Article 13 School approval must be obtained before foreign students can go out and participate in the activities of non-school organizations in groups.
Article 14 According to the relevant provisions of the Dalian City, it is not allowed to drive a motorcycle without a license in urban areas of Dalian City. Purchasing and discharging of Kongming lanterns are prohibited.
Article 15 Smoking is not allowed in indoor public places like classroom building. Proper dress is required in public places.

• Administration of Studying

Transacting Credentials

Article 16 IEC will organize students to transact student card, and E-card (non-degree students don’t have e-card) in a unified process after the freshmen have finished registration and have paid all the fees.

Attending Classes

Article 17 Foreign undergraduate and postgraduate students must complete classes and earn enough relevant credits according to the training program. Scholars and Chinese language students must comply with relevant class arrangement.

Selecting Classes

Article 18 Foreign undergraduate students must choose classes at the end of the semester or at the beginning of a new semester, otherwise students cannot choose classes.
Article 19 The postgraduate students should add or drop classes within 2 weeks after class begins. In principle, compulsory courses chosen by the supervisor cannot be dropped. It can be changed only with the permission of the supervisor. During the training program, if, due to some reasons, some classes failed to start which leads to insufficient credits, other classes can be chosen within 2 weeks after class begins.

Book Borrowing

Article 20 Degree students can, abiding by the rules of borrowing books, transact library cards, and borrow books according to rules provided by the library. When graduate, students may leave school after all borrowed books are returned 

Discipline of Learning

Article 21 Foreign students should abide by study disciplines, go to class on time, and take exams. Unexcused absence, being late, and leaving early are not allowed. 
Article 22 On festivals of the countries students come from, in principle, the school does not give a holiday. If the student needs to go to the embassy or the consulate to attend activities, he should go to IEC with letters from the embassy or consulate to transact process of leaving.
Article 23 IEC will mail to the embassy or the consulate of each country the score report, rate of attendance, study attitude of students at the end of semester. 

Suspension, dropping out of school, and other affairs

Article 24 Foreign students should conduct suspension of schooling in any of the following cases:

Due to injury or ailment, diagnosed by the school hospital or designated hospital that one should receive medical treatment or take a rest for more than 6 weeks in a semester (time adding up to 6 weeks in a semester is also included);

The time of asking for leave goes beyond one third of the total class hours in a semester;

For some other reasons, student applies for school suspension, or student is considered by the school that he must take a suspension.

Article 25 Foreign students should conduct dropout in any of the following cases:

The result of reexamination after the end of suspension remains disqualified, or failing to apply for reentry after the end of suspension or the period of keeping the enrollment status, or not transacting registration within 2 weeks after the application for reentry is approved;
Diagnosed by the school hospital or designated hospital that the student is sick or is accidentally injured, and could not continue schooling;
Failing to conduct registration 2 weeks beyond the scheduled time, or leaving school without permission, failing to attend provided teaching and researching activities for 2 weeks in succession without legitimate reasons;
Being unable to continue schooling for other reasons;
Student who applies for automatic withdrawal by him/herself;
Not abiding by Chinese laws and the principles of the school in a serious case;
For any reasons, undergraduate’s study time in school adding up to more than 6 years;
After course makeup, a doctoral student failing in any one degree course; after course makeup, a postgraduate failing in any two degree courses; 
A postgraduate or doctoral student failing in mid-term exam and not suitable for further study;
For postgraduate students who go beyond regulated study time limit but do not transact delaying process, or delaying process not approved, or, delaying process approved, but the study remains incomplete at the end of the delaying period.

Article 26 Foreign students ask for suspension, dropping out, transferring school, extending study period, changing major, changing type of overseas study: Students enjoying Chinese government scholarship should at first apply through the embassy or consulate of his country to China scholarship council, after the council approves the application and informs our school, all the applications above can be decided. For self-paid foreign students, the items above should be applied in written form to IEC by the student himself, and the items will be valid after the approval of the school.

Awards and Punishments

Article 27 The DMU Excellent International Students Award Program was set in 2013 with the purpose of attracting and funding excellent international students to study at DMU. The scholarships covered every category of international students in DMU. In this semester, 26 students got the scholarships eventually through fierce selection.
Article 28 To students who break school regulations, destroy public property, get drunk, create a disturbance, conduct violence, take part in gamble or stealing, and disturb the normal teaching order, the school will give the student disciplinary warning, stem disciplinary warning, demerit, academic probation, expulsion, eliminate students status and fines will be imposed depending on the severity.
Article 29 The status of awarding and punishment will be not only announced to the student but informed to the embassy or consulate of the accrediting country in China in written form by IEC.
Article 30 Under the Chinese law, those who commit a crime will be investigated for their criminal liability by the judicial department.

Graduation, completion and noncompletion of schooling

Article 31 Foreign students who complete all the courses provided by the training program, complete the total credits, and pass the thesis defense will be permitted to graduate, and given diploma and relevant degree.
Article 32 For scholars and Chinese language students, those who meet the requirement of study hours (senior scholars should complete the research plan) and get qualified scores will be given certificate of completion. Those who fail to meet the conditions above will be given study certificate only. 
Article 33 The diploma, certificate, and study certificate of foreign students are examined, verified, made and handed out by IEC.

Leaving School

Article 34 Foreign students who graduate should accomplish the procedure of image taking, data supply etc. according to the requirement of IEC. Students should go to relevant departments with leaving school notice to return borrowed items, books, settle accounts and get the notice stamped, and hand in the stamped leaving school notice to IEC before semester ends, after the examination and verification, students can get graduate certificate, degree certificate or completion certificate, and transcripts 2 weeks after the semester ends.
Article 35 Students who leave school early should finish the above processes before leaving school
Note: Detailed regulations of study for undergraduate、Chinese language trainees and preparatory foreign students are from page 29 to page 58 . 

• Administration of Daily Life


Article 36 School provides foreign students with unified dormitories. Students living in the dorm should regulate their behavior strictly abiding by the Administrative Regulations of Dormitory of Dalian Maritime University. 
Article 37 Foreign students who are not suitable to live in international students’ apartments can apply to live off campus, but the requirements of Regulations of Foreign Students Living off Campus of Dalian Maritime University must be strictly obeyed.


Article 38 Foreign students (study period in China is more than 6 months) must purchase commercial medical insurance according to the regulation of Chinese Government. Insurance of CSC-Scholarship students are paid by Chinese Scholarship Council that provide his scholarship, self-expense students should pay insurance by themselves. For students enjoying scholarship from Chinese government, it is processed according to the foreign students comprehensive medical insurance claims procedure issued by China scholarship council. For students enjoying scholarship from foreign governments, from Liaoning province and for self-paid students, it is processed by the claim standard of China’s civic social basic insurance.

• Visa Regulations


Article 39 Foreign students who will study in China for more than 6 months should apply for X1 visa; L visa or X2 visa is for studying less than 6 months. Students with an X1 visa visa must go to Dalian Exit-and-Entry Administration Division of Public Security Bureau (short form as Dalian PSB) to apply for a residence permit for studying within 30 days after arrival. Student Affairs Office of IEC will apply for visa extension for new students who submit visa application materials and visa fee within stipulated time period. Students who miss the collective visa application organized by IEC should go to Dalian PSB personally to apply for visa extension.
Article 40 Admissions Office of IEC can only provide enrollment certificate for students so that their families can apply for an “L” visa or “S2” visa to come to China. After arriving in China, the families should go to Dalian PSB with official letter issued by Student Affairs Office to apply for visa extension. The time period of family members’ staying in China cannot go beyond the valid time limit of the student’s residence permit. IEC is not responsible for issuing Visa Invitation Letter or handling visa application for students’ families. 


Article 41 Students are required to register at local police station within 24 hours upon your arrival to Dalian. Students who live on campus should at first go to Student Affairs Office to get an accommodation registration form. You must renew your accommodation registration if you changed your visa, passport or living address. Failing to register accommodation at police station within stipulated time will be fined up to 500 RMB per day by Dalian PSB.
Article 42 In order to apply for a residence permit for studying, students who will study in China over 6 months should submit Foreigner’s Physical Examination Record to Student Affairs Office upon arrival. Students without the record are required to go to Liaoning Entry-exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau located in Dalian to do the physical examination within regulated time. If you were found to have the disease that is forbidden to enter China, you would be required to leave China immediately.
Article 43 Students must complete extending visa within the time limit of entry visa (usually 30 days). Students with a residence permit for studying issued by other Chinese cities should go to Dalian PSB to change the issue place of residence permit within 10 days after registering at DMU. Failing to change the issue place of residence permit within the time limit will be fined up to 500 RMB per day by Dalian PSB.
Article 44 Students who changed a passport during the stay at DMU are required to go to Dalian PSB to transfer the original visa to new passport within 10 days after receiving a new passport. Or else, you will be fined up to 500 RMB per day by Dalian PSB.
Article 45 At the beginning and the end of each semester, Student Affairs Office (Office 410) will apply for visa extension for students who submit visa application materials and visa fee within stipulated time period (please pay attention to relevant notices). Self-funded students should first complete all payments. Students who miss the collective visa application should go to Dalian PSB personally to apply for visa extension. 

Article 46 Students should pay attention to the validity of residence permits/visas. Students who need extending visa should go to Student Affairs Office (Office 410) for an official letter, at least 30 working days before visa expiry date; self-funded students should first complete all payments. Failing to extend residence permits/visas within time limit will be fined 500 RMB per day by Dalian PSB.
Article 47 According to regulations stipulated by Dalian PSB, the attendance of students is one of the necessary conditions for getting visa extension. Staff of Immigration Office will come to school and check students’ attendance irregularly. Students who were punished by recording of demerit will not get visa extended.

Leaving China

Article 48 After completing study at DMU, students must leave China within stipulated time. Students who meet the following conditions are required to cancel studying visa at Dalian PSB (to convert the studying visa into a stay visa): quitting from DMU, suspending study at DMU, completing study at DMU ahead of schedule. Or else, DMU will not confer you any diploma or certificate and will notify Dalian PSB about your behavior. For students who are ordered to quit school or expelled from the university, IEC will inform Dalian PSB with official documents.

• Administration of other affairs

Article 49 Students can go on a trip to places opened to the public in holidays, but reports to IEC Student Affairs Office is necessary. For places not opened to the public, a travel card is indispensable. Enter places not opened to the public at free will is illegal.
Article 50 Students leave school for personal or other reasons must get written request for leave from the IEC Student Affairs Office, and they can leave school after the paper is signed by the tutor and handed in.

This regulation come into force from August, 2010, the International Education College of Dalian Maritime University has the final power of interpretation.